HUIS19 as a part of ‘Hof ten Broecke’
Hof ten Broecke is a farm with loose components, including the house, stables and a barn and a milk house on the street. The site climbs at least until the 14th century and showed traces of a site with ramparts. To the west of the 17th-century farmhouse, at the time of protection (1996), there were still a few 19th-century farm workers’ homes.
The so-called Hof ten Broecke on Broekkantstraat, a winding street from the Rosdambeek (border brook with Sint-Denijs-Westrem) to the motorway, has a very old history. The oldest references date back to the 14th century. A certain Simon Zonderdanc and his wife sold “‘tgoed ten Brouke” in 1359 to St. Peter’s Abbey in Ghent, which had acquired important possessions in Afsnee since the end of the 7th-early 8th centuries. In 1375 it is mentioned for the first time as a loan from the abbey and the 20 bunder large farm was leased. Later lease agreements indicate that the property was always expanding. Until the end of the 18th century it remained well dependent on the glory of Overmeers who united the possessions of St Peter’s Abbey in Afsnee, St Denijs-Westrem, a part of St Martens-Latem, Nazareth and most men in Drongen.
After the First World War the farm was also called Invalidenhof (‘House of disabled persons’) as there are reportedly disabled people employed. The farm then largely got its current view. 18th-century maps show another farmhouse with detached components with a smaller house on the west, a barn on the east and stables far south of a yard closed off by a wall on the street side. To the south, between the stables and the Rosdambeek, a circular enclosure could still be seen until the 1925s, possibly the former site with the moat of the Goed ten Broecke.